St. Peter’s began as a mission in 1824 when the village as known as “Sawpit.” As the village grew, so did the community of St. Peter’s. Sawpit became Port Chester in 1838 and the parish settled into its first permanent home on North Main St. in 1843.
A fire just before Christmas in 1883 destroyed the Church and services continued in the educational building using the furnishings saved from the fire. The parish continued to meet the needs of the community but soon outgrew this facility.
The present site was obtained in 1883 and, with community support, the congregation undertook the building of the present church structure. The foundation and basement completed, services were held in that area and the cornerstone dedicated on April, 1889. In July, 1890 services were conducted in the new sanctuary.
Image source: Postcard of St. Peter’s post-marked August 21, 1911 (public domain)